Nick Saunders - Photographer

Throughout my time with FACTSNet, my largest priority and focus was on Spruce Grove’s City Centre Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP). I worked on a lot of small and large projects but one of the main opportunities I had was to help the community in downtown Spruce Grove. The ARP is a plan created to improve downtown Spruce Grove on the business side but came with a lot of large, disastrous changes to the residential side. Our main focus as FACTSNet Spruce Grove was to inform the residents as to what was going to take place, facilitate discussions with possible alternatives and overall just seek a better way to go about making changes. My involvement included various photography projects, such as taking photos of all of the businesses and single family homes in the area. In addition to that, I helped work on and present a presentation to residents and business owners at a Town Hall Meeting we hosted, as well as presented in front of City Council for their public hearing. 

ARP Town Hall Presentation
Presentation I helped work on and presented at our organized town hall meeting.
Presentation I helped work on and present at the City Council Hearing in front of 90+ people including City Council.

The photos I did of of the businesses were to be later used for a picture tour we had imagined earlier on in the summer job.

The photos that I did of the homes in the downtown area was to keep an archive of what is currently there, as it may not be in five, ten or twenty years from now. This is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Spruce Grove.

Towards the end of my time with FACTSNet, I spent a large portion of my time working on a website with the idea of creating a hub for the communities of Spruce Grove, Stony Plain and Parkland County. This website was started by two other members of FACTSNet earlier on, but was passed on to me to make it a publishable site. I added a lot of our work and content to the website, made many graphical improvements and linked a variety of resources for the people in the community to use.
One of the last pieces of work I did towards the ARP was a survey that another member of FACTSNet along with myself went door to door to ask questions to the residents. I did a report on the survey and added it to the website.

Aside from the ARP, I did a variety of smaller graphical projects.
I also created a logo for FACTSNet’s “UofA Networking Group.”

For some of the time allocated to furthering our personal career, I spent some time creating a logo for myself as well as making some updates to my website.

Another project I took on was to create a list of photographers in the Parkland region.

During my time with FACTSNet, I had an opportunity to work with a number of intelligent and devoted people. I learned how to work in collaboration with a variety of people on large projects. I also gained a deeper insight on the importance of networking and communicating with people. Working on the ARP was an awesome opportunity that pushed me out of my comfort zone, but also helped a lot of residents to become more knowledgeable and better equipped to stand up to the city in their aggressive push for unnecessary redevelopment.

No comments:

Post a Comment